Lýsi

Icelanders tend to think that lýsi is some sort of miracle substance that will preserve your health forever. I always thought that it looked kind of gross, and that since I'd managed to survive so far without it, and pretty healthily as well, I'd just give it a miss. However, it has come to my attention that it is physically impossible to get enough vitamin D in an Icelandic winter without taking some sort of supplement. And that vitamin D deficiency can cause fatigue, which maybe isn't helping mine? So I thought maybe it would be worth it to get some lýsi after all. I was going to get the one you can take in pill form so you don't actually have to have cod liver oil in open contact with your tongue, but I couldn't find any in Melabúðin. Instead I went for the lemon flavoured version, because I thought it would be slightly less gross. Drinking a tablespoon of oil in the morning is actually not as bad as it seems like it would be (not saying I like it), and the lemon helps I think. Haven't really noticed much of an effect yet, but I only got the bottle a few days ago. It certainly can't be doing any harm. There's no way I'm drinking this stuff come the spring, though.

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't it give you an awful fishy after-taste all day? That's why I gave up on the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, maybe for a few hours. Don't see why you'd bother in a country where you can just get vitamin D from the sun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in the sunniest country in Europe, I am possibly getting too much Vitamin D and not enough of all the other Vitamins in the Vitamin Alphabet. Does Guinness count as a vitamin?

    ReplyDelete